Tuesday 22 July 2014

Eighteen and e(ating)xercising


I took up Zumba lessons recently. And yes, you maybe thinking, isn't zumba for the oldies??

No, it is not. 

And to be honest, I dread every minute of it. I do. I may sound like i totally enjoy this whole healthy lifestyle but i do not. I crave McDonalds and Coco Crunch every day and it takes so much of me to look away from those delicious, fattening foods. 

Why do i still do it? Because i hate it. 

When you manifest a certain dislike towards something, the more reason it gives you face up to it. I think people from my generation, especially, tend to run away when things get hard. It's so true. In school, we're being taught to skip a math question when it's difficult. That's not right. Fair enough, exams are a race against time, but because this tactic is practiced so often it becomes a habit. A bad habit that takes forever to get rid of. 

But anyway, yes I hate zumba. It's an hour class and every sweat that drips off my face DOES NOT motivate me further. Its telling me to stop. And that is the challenge, I feel. To look at your sweaty disgusting self and say NO, we are going to finish this hour of non-stop exercising, no matter how tough it is. And when the session ends (like finally!), its super exhausting. Most of the time, I just sit there, catching every last breathe i have and gulping on gallons of water. But as you look at every other sweaty and disgusting body around you, you begin to doubt yourself. 

Am I a joke? Am i really THAT unhealthy that twenty other middle aged women can withstand this much pain and soreness as compared to me, an ordinary eighteen year old. 

I am not going to lie, but i do feel ashamed. Teens like me are supposedly stronger, but this just proves how weak and fragile we are. And because Gen-Y are such egoistic assholes, we cant bear to feel like that. And frankly, that is my motivation.

Face up to your fears fellas, it's the only way you have a shot at overcoming it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment