Saturday 27 September 2014

Chasing Dreams.

"Just go for it. Chase your dreams. Don't stop believing" blah blah blah

Sounds rather familiar, doesn't it? Especially since those words come from singers, actors, Steve Jobs, Youtubers or just people, in general, who are having a much better life than we are. But even after hearing them, we are all left with the same reaction. Some inspired, some just dumbfounded. Yet we question the same thing. How did they do it? Why can't I? Or more optimistically, when will I?

I am a dreamer. And I have never stopped wondering.

Recently, I've been looking at old videos of my first concert by We The Kings. Many may not be familiar with who they are or how good their music is. I won't be the judge of that, knowing that my taste is rather "mainstream" so I'll let you decide.

My point of today's post is figuring out how a group of 5 lame dorky guys, who's initial intention of writing music was to attract girls, manage to land a sell out concert in a country they have never been to. And how incredible it is to think that their music has travelled oceans and continents to touch the hearts of strangers they didn't even know existed.

How did they do it?

Passion and hard work.

Hard work, a phrase as kids we never liked to hear. Passion? A word that signifies a strong desire to do something we love.

It is common knowledge that talent and hard work goes hand in hand. One without the other, is a recipe for failure. And I disagree. Talent, in fact, shouldn't even be in the equation. Frankly, I would never trust talent to chase my dreams for me. Evidently, in the end, hard work is the one who does all the dirty work.

Passion, on the other hand, is what keeps us from quitting. I say this because passion carries a much deeper meaning than talent. Passion, I learnt, means doing everything in our power to keep our dreams well and alive. Passion, not only the act of conquering what we want, but also, protecting that desire even if it means, putting ourselves on the line just to do what we love.

I've seen friends who had no talent succeed because they had passion and the will to work tirelessly and selflessly. An enormous amount of determination that paved their rocky path to success.

If there was anything I learned from that concert it was that there is never an easy road to a place worth going. Just like what the lead singer said "Life wasn't easy as a child, but it is fucking amazing now" and so I conclude today's entry.

We all have dreams and we want to live it. Instead of wasting time wondering how they did it, it's probably time to figure out how you'll achieve yours.

Love,
K.W

No comments:

Post a Comment