Sunday 7 September 2014

New Beginnings Part 2


Unlike the usual deep, emotional posts, today I'm taking you through the longest Sunday I have ever experienced in my WHOLE GODDAMN life.

First of all, departure from Singapore was a bittersweet one. I received farewell letters from a couple of close friends and yes, I was crying to myself in the airport, like a typical loner that I am. But I am also truly grateful. Just when I thought I was losing track of where I was headed and why I came here to do this, I was reminded by their kind words again. In my mind, it has always been "me against the world". I told myself that I will make my big dreams happen even when no one believes in me. But to my surprise, I'm not the only one on this journey. I have friends who has been through hell with me, I have parents who has seen the worst of me and now that I have made it here, I'm not gonna let them down. As cheesy as this sounds, I will promise to make you guys proud. I'm not going to hang around invisibly anymore. I'm going to do something for myself and it helps tremendously, knowing that I'm never alone. So from the bottom of my fat heart, thanks guys.

I don't really intend to talk about my flight because it was annoyingly long and uncomfortable. Which by the way, on a scale of 1 to 10, X Men : Days of Future Past was a 6. And after 17 torturous hours on air, we finally landed in Manchester. Oh not to mention the 90 minutes in the immigration, that was indeed SO fun. Getting a terrible back ache from queuing up, yeap, the total highlight of my trip.

Anyway, down to the serious shit. I was frightened the minute I stepped out of the airport. In fact, frightened was an understatement. I was just really, really petrified. I was never a person who had problems adapting to different situations, therefore I did not see my mental breakdown coming at all.

As we were driving on the highway, I noticed that their distance was measured by miles and yards, instead of kilometers and meters. That was when the reality of change hit me. First of all, I have no idea how many miles is one kilometer, how do I expect myself to be able to mould and fit into a society that is so different from where I come from. I was brought up in busy cities, and seeing that Manchester has so much space to live and breathe, it felt both relieving and uneasy. If I adapted to their way of life, I feared I would be slowing myself down and I never want to do that. So it was a huge mix of emotions this afternoon, and it bothered me so much, I lost my mood for everything. I barely ate or spoke, I said no to so many things and the negative thoughts I had about this place never stopped haunting me.

I'm not going to lie but this afternoon, I was ready to post about how much I feared life in Salford. Then I thought, why is it that everything I say have to be so negative. So instead, I went out for a walk. And just then, everything changed.

Take a look at how breathtaking this place is.






Salford Quays is stunningly beautiful. It's astonishing and inspiring. As you can see from the last picture, my university is sandwiched between the BBC and ITV.

For almost a year, my brain was dead. I had no knowledge whatsoever and I haven't solved a calcus problem since. When I took in all that was happening around me, I felt awaken. It's a great environment for me, it stimulates the creativity my brain (Like i have any lol) and for once, I could not wait to start university.

Oh and for the Man United fans out there, you really need to add visiting Old Trafford to your bucket list. I don't care how crap they are now, but Old Trafford is terrific. This shit right here, is amazing.


I didn't get to go inside, but I am definitely doing so the next time I come here.

Anyway, thats the end of my incredibly long Sunday. If you have read everything, I sincerely thank you. You have no idea how much it means to me, when people read what I write, even when it has no relation to their lives whatsoever.

Alright fellas, tomorrow is a big day because I'm moving in with my new roommates. It's kinda exciting, I think Im gonna chest bump her when I see her, I hope she doesn't mind though.

With love from my bloodshot eyes and I,
K.W

No comments:

Post a Comment