Tuesday 19 August 2014

The Big Countdown

With 18 more days left to take off, just like every other kid that's leaving home, I'm feeling a whole lot of nervous with a slight tinge of excitement. 

Yet with every passing minute, the anxiety grows while the happy kid inside, who had always dreamed of going to the UK, diminishes slowly.  It's quite strange really, but based on all the stories I've heard from friends and relatives who has left, this seems to be very normal. 

Speaking to all fellow freshmen out there, have you ever stopped in the midst of all the college applications and thought to yourself, is this really what I want?

Is it really what YOU want, or is it what your parents or everyone else wants?

I do tend to hesitate over the answer to that question and I'm positive most people do too. I'm not even sure if Creative Writing is what I want for my future. I mean, yes, I do enjoy writing, and I love it at times, but to be honest, compared to so many others, I don't think I'm even qualified.

It wasn't easy, watching some of my friends heading into a course they have no interest in, merely because they were blinded by the outcome of a successful career, big houses, Aston Martins etc.

Yet two weeks after, they're moaning over how much they hated it, I guess they can't be blamed really. Much like myself, sometimes I do wonder if I am blinded by J.K. Rowling's billionaire status.

But hey we are barely twenty, we are allowed to make mistakes.

It's just a pity these mistakes come at a great loss, and it is one we can't bare to afford.

My heart ached at the sight of my parents issuing cheques for my tuition fees while I was applying for the course I wanted. What if I don't succeed as a writer ten years later? I can't possibly tell them that the money they spent was all a complete waste. I think part of what really worries me is that I don't even have the confidence in what I chose for myself.

The possibilities of screwing up is endless but so is the possibility of succeeding and becoming the future editor of Cosmopolitan. Let's just hope its the latter. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment