Wednesday 6 August 2014

See you later, old friend

I don't need anyone. I think partially why i tell myself this is because when someone leaves me, it will hurt less. And the truth that we all know is that people will leave us all the time, and you'd be very lucky enough to have one who sticks by through thick and thin.

One of the struggles of studying abroad is definitely going to be all the family and friends you leave behind, how you're gonna be so homesick and how you'll miss them blah blah blah. Yeap we've heard it way too many times.

I've had friends who left my side and to be honest, the first few months was unbearable. How the different timezones can be such a pain in the ass especially when I want to talk to them and what not. But after a while, I began to realise that they have moved on, and quite quickly i might add. They start posting pictures of their new school, new friends and all the cool stuff they're doing without me. Its heartbreaking, knowing that they'll be sharing new memories with new people and too often, it makes me very jealous.

Yes it is tragic. A friendship I thought was worth a lifetime suddenly seems like it was only for the time being. And what's worse,is beginning to feel as though I was merely just a passerby, helping them get through the 10 months of college.

I experienced this so-called "phase" when my friends left me but I've moved on too. And soon enough, the friends I leave behind will feel the same way.

Or maybe not. I'm completely invisible, no one will even notice my absence anyway.

But the point is, I think this is just the way it is. Across all different stages of our lives, we'll be with different people, and all these unique individuals we meet are going to define who we are and who we're meant to be. It sounds exciting yet it carries a sense of bitterness.

I do look back at old photographs and reminisce about the good times and how I wish I could relive them again. But the sad truth is, looking back at the good old days just proves that the only thing left in our friendship are those fond memories we will never forget.

Truly, time and tide waits for no man. And just because our old friends have left us does not mean we should stick around crying over spilt milk. Life needs to go on because it can't stop at a stand still and we need to learn to keep moving forward.

Leaving for another country does not necessarily mean a "Goodbye forever" to our old friends, I'd prefer to think of it as a "See you later".

I know it can be upsetting when distance slowly destroys what we once thought, was a strong bond. But it's inevitable.

You'd be fortunate enough if the same friend you spoke to 2 minutes ago, still asks and tells you all the latest gossips and updates in his/her life 20 years later. Well, I guess I'm not that lucky, but I look forward to meeting someone who can prove me wrong.

To end this post in such low spirits doesn't make me very happy, but I guess things are how it's supposed to be. People come and go, and here's to hoping that we can still laugh and talk about the golden days in the future, as though the miles apart never made a difference.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment