Tuesday 12 August 2014

5 Things To Do When You're Having a Bad Day

Well, today wasn't a good one.

I went for a round of golf this morning, only to discover (again) that I still suck despite the hours of practice. Seriously, why is it so difficult to be good at something? 

And a series of other things happened, including a confession, a confrontation and a little bit of crying. Yikes.

Therefore, today's post is a list of things I do every now and then to prevent my days going from bad to well, as worse as it can get. Or the things I do to cheer myself up. And hopefully, you'll find it useful too.

1. Get off social media 

Every teen's daily routine goes like this : Wake up - get out of bed - frantically search for iPhone - opens twitter - end of day

THIS, is wrong. Personally, I find that 95% of my problems come from social media. Seeing a tweet from someone you don't like early in the morning is a terrible way to start your day, so yes, avoid at all costs. Besides, go read the papers, and get in touch with what's happening in the real world, until there is a must to log into Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/MySpace etc   

2. Spend quality time with the ones closest to you 

Once again, spending quality time does not mean sitting in a room staring at your smartphones and communicating through games requests. No. 

If you happen to be a family-oriented person like I am, this is your best way of getting out of a bad day. 

Having younger siblings around the house can be great way to cheer yourself up, especially if they're younger than 10 and have fat, chubby cheeks. (Yes, I am totally obsessed with my sister but whatever, moving on). I love my family to bits, every single one of them. Especially for someone who's leaving to UK pretty soon, when I do have the chance, we make special plans to have a movie marathon together, which is perfect for whatever day I'm having.

3.  Movie marathons

The best part about this is that it can be done alone, because you won't need to be bothered by anyone else's opinion on which Spiderman sequel was better. I'm a hardcore "Stonefield" shipper so don't even get me started.

Or if you prefer to grab a group of friends to watch it together, it still guarantees a great time, except you would need to prepare junk food and homemade popcorn and drinks and even tidy up the house a little, which is a lot of work and not really suitable for someone as lazy as I am.

The beauty of movie marathons, it disconnects you from the outside world for as long as you want, and that is exactly what you need if you're having the worst day of your life.

4. Talk to someone you can trust

This really isn't my go-to-remedy when I'm feeling down but it works... sometimes.

I'm very well aware that if one keeps their frustrations bottled up for a long time, soon enough, they are going to explode. Which is why it doesn't hurt to speak to someone you trust.

The only three people I trust on the face of this planet is my mom, my best friend and my diary.

In every difficult situation, you are going to need someone who has been there, done that to give you the most logical advice and that's what moms are for. After all, momma knows best!

Best friends are like essential punching bags, mute, durable and always there when you need a good punch. On our bad days, we don't need anyone who will understand our problems, or rather someone who will fix our problems for us. No, what we need is someone who will LISTEN. I can't stress how bloody important this is, which is why I said you should only talk to someone you can trust. I trust that my best friend can handle me at my worst days and I trust that she knows what to do to cheer me up. There is no point in speaking to someone who won't listen, let alone care to understand your annoyance.

5. Sleep  

As lame as this sounds, it works all the time. When all else fails, a good nap should do the trick, that is if you have time on your hands of course. Whenever I get angry, I tell myself, let's just leave it for a day. If I wake up tomorrow and it doesn't bother me anymore, it probably wasn't a big deal to be dealt with anyway.

Keep this in mind, we all have our bad days, but it shouldn't stop us from having a good time. It would be a waste wouldn't it, that the time you spend being upset and emotional, could have been the best day of your life.

The 24 hours of today, will not shape the 24 hours of tomorrow, so it's your choice really. Is it going to be a good or bad one? 

No comments:

Post a Comment