Wednesday 26 November 2014

Being Alone Is Not A Bad Thing

I had the most wonderful time Christmas shopping today because I got loads of gift ideas and also, I shopped alone. Now before you think I'm weird for enjoying alone time, let the truth be told; I like being alone. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends to bits and having company is awesome but sometimes when it's all too much to handle, I do appreciate a time-out. I didn't realise how much I needed it ever since I came here until I went out today.

Every now and then, whether you are an extrovert or an introvert, we all do need some time alone. Personally, I like being away from people I know and ironically, I immerse myself with more people I do not know. It may sound strange but I really do like being in a busy town on my own.

I remember as a kid, whenever I saw a person eating alone, I would assume that he or she had no friends. Maybe you didn't think that way, but I definitely did. I mean, why wouldn't I? Movies and cartoons always showed that one weird kid who sat alone during recess and 9 times out of 10, this kid had no friends.

It was because of this false mindset that led me to fear solitude until recently. I know people who are afraid of doing things alone. I know because I used to be scared of eating alone. I dreadfully feared shopping alone and even simple things like going to class. I always needed someone to go with me simply because there was no way in hell I wanted people to assume I was that weird kid with no friends.

It is pathetic when I come to think about it. Thankfully, I learned that being alone and being lonely are not quite the same. It turns out I was not afraid of being alone, I just feared being seen alone because of what others might think of me.

Then of course, I grew up and eventually learned to ignore the weird stares I was getting. Solitude is a beautiful thing and if you are afraid of being alone, I am about to tell you why you shouldn't.

One of the greatest things about being alone is the freedom you and only you possess.

We can all agree that shopping with friends can be great fun, but waiting for them is not. While you do miss out on their second opinions shopping alone, let's just think about not having to wait or go into shops you dislike. Plus, you can take as long as you want in the changing room admiring yourself in your soon-to-be favourite jeans without feeling bad about making someone else wait for you.

The freedom to do whatever the hell you want and no one is holding you back. Why not?

Another thing I picked up today was how oblivious we all are. We don't realise what's happening around us because we are constantly on our smartphones creeping up on other people's lives, when life is in fact, happening before us. I was alone in a cafe this afternoon and just by doing nothing, I discovered that guys do gossip about their controlling girlfriends. (Funny how we thought they didn't.)

It was not important at all but my point is, it is interesting how much we learn about people, just by observing them. I always catch myself people-watching the most when I'm alone. Maybe because when I'm out with friends, I don't tend to pay any attention to my surroundings. But it makes a little sense doesn't it? That we unconsciously learn something when we observe people.

Like I said, having company is always fun but there are days where we all need a break and that's when being alone becomes enjoyable.

To those who fear being alone, like I used to, here's a good tip that helped me tremendously: Stop being so self-conscious because the truth is, no one cares. Everyone is too busy with their own lives to judge you for being a loner. Sure, people will stare for a second or two but they will move on, like how you will finally realise that solitude is bliss.

Love,
K.W

No comments:

Post a Comment