Friday 7 November 2014

Celebrating Success, Big or Small

So, I wrote an article and it was published on Thought Catalog (YAY!The link is here: http://tcat.tc/1tNftUk) yesterday and I am so so so so so happy, it's unbelievable. It's been more than 24 hours since it went online and I am still shaking every time I think about it. I know it's not that much of a big deal because anyone who's anyone can write and most certainly have it published on a website. It's a bit different for me though.

Ever since university started, I've been feeling incredibly inferior. Not that I want to, I just can't help thinking that because I am Asian, studying among talented and creative writers, it doesn't make me good enough. And to get an email saying that my work was published on such a well-known American website, it was exactly the confidence boost that I needed. 

Once again, it probably isn't much but you can imagine it meant a lot to me. 

Not going to lie, after I found out, I was practically dancing in my room, doing shimmies and chanting fuck yea continuously until I felt sinful for swearing. But yes that was my way of celebrating my mini triumph. Now if you know me, you're probably like really? This girl? Celebrating? No.

Well, fair enough, I come off as quiet, boring and invisible but I do like to celebrate. I just think it's a good excuse to have a fun time when you find something as silly as this to celebrate about. This is probably also the reason why I place a lot of emphasis on birthdays and anniversaries, simply because everyone gets to be happy. And celebrating success, whether its a mini achievement or landing the job of your dreams, is a must.

You see, it's important to be proud of what you've achieved, no matter how insignificant it might be to others. After all, it is what you have done and only you can fully appreciate the sense of achievement it provides. Not everyone witnessed the effort I put in every night to write a good blog post and certainly no one knew how long I've been trying for this. Celebrating, for whatever reason, whether it's a treat to yourself, or another person, makes up for a better day, so why not? We have enough to worry about on a daily basis that it leaves us almost no time take in and appreciate the positive things happening. Plus, while you can, make the most out of it before a new pile of work lands on your table tomorrow and you have no chance to celebrate the joys of being promoted.

I felt great when I received a couple of congratulations messages and 20 likes on the article. I was smiling away like a lovestruck idiot when people were happy for me because of something I worked hard for. It just made me realise how worth it this little achievement was because it was making the people around me happy. (i'm still so happy omfg)

Anyway to end this off, I hope you didn't think reading this has been pointless or a waste of time and if you're serious all the time like I am, I hope you'll start giving yourself some credit instead of always letting your hard work go unnoticed. Open that bottle of champagne, eat Ben & Jerry's, spend the entire night watching Netflix, and shimmy like Hugh Grant because you, my friend, fucking deserve it.

Love,
K.W 

No comments:

Post a Comment