Thursday 9 July 2015

The Luckiest Person I Know

With all that’s been happening right now, several people have came up to me and told me how lucky I am to have a place of my own. Apparently, the average age to be living in a house of your own is thirty-two and I am not even twenty. When I learned about this scary fact, I can assure you that I didn’t feel good about it at all mainly because I feel like I cheated. 

Yes, half of this entire experience feels like I'm cheating my way up in the world. 

Call me crazy but I actually want to live in rented house, paying the landlord every month with the money that I earned on my own. Call me insane but I don’t enjoy it when people give me expensive gifts. I don’t bask in branded goods like other wealthy kids because although I grew up in a well-to-do family, I was always raised to be prudent. Therefore, when my parents told me that I was going to be living in a brand new apartment, I cringed because this luxury was something that I didn’t deserve.

I am an ordinary person, like everyone else, trying to get a degree to better increase my employability in the future, so that one day, I too can buy a house of my own without feeling guilty whatsoever. There are also billions of other people with the same purpose and what makes me so different from them that I get a house and they don’t?

When I told my parents about how I felt, they coolly replied, “this is not about buying you a place because we think you earned it,” which I think really helped me gain a new perspective.

This isn’t about me because I’m just like everyone else, so when people tell me how lucky I am, I just have to say it’s because of my parents.

With that being the best answer I can give, I don’t like it very much because it makes me sound like a stuck-up. I don’t want to be that person that grows up to be successful because of my parents. Yes, I have always had their financial support but I don’t want that to be the only reason I have what I have. Although their money plays a crucial part in getting me where I am today, I’d like to think that I have worked hard too.

Sometimes I look at the Kardashians and I think, well they’re only famous and rich because of their family, which I now realise is a terrible accusation because I don’t know or see how hard Kendall Jenner has worked to be a stick-thin model. Perhaps her success can be credited to her family, but she deserves credit too for seizing that opportunity by using her family’s wealth.

I guess I could relate to a small extent. Sure, without my parent’s help, I would never dream of being here. But because I know there are opportunities thanks to them, I can take the chance and do something useful with my life. I mean, wouldn’t it be a pity if your parents were millionaires and you just sat at home all day wasting your life away?

And about being lucky, yes I am very lucky indeed and so is everyone else. Just because I am lucky doesn’t mean my life is any better than everyone else's. I’d like to believe that we’re all lucky human beings and we all have luck in different things. I have a great life, but I also lack in other things too, like luck in getting a job. Maybe you don’t have a place of your own, but you have tons of friends. Maybe you only have a few friends but those friendships are irreplaceable and they are the best things that has ever happened to you. See, luck changes for everyone. And what really matters is that you’re able to realise the luck you have and treasure it even more.


I thank my lucky stars everyday that I come from a family that provides me with ample of opportunities. I don’t know how long this chain of luck is going to last, but I’m sure that when it stops, I’ll be ready to work hard enough so that I won’t ever need it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment