Tuesday 14 July 2015

Being Proud of Singlish

Hello hello, I don't usually write another blog post in the same week, but something occurred to me recently and I feel this incessant need to pour it out before I forget about it for good.

This is all very much my own opinion so we can agree to disagree if necessary.

I've pretty much lived in Malaysia and Singapore my whole life so in a way, I can say that I know these two countries' cultures very well (and also mainly because there's not much difference) but if you're an outsider who has never been to these places, I doubt you have heard of these term called "Singlish" or "Manglish". What they are basically is English combined with the local languages and forming a slang that everyone uses out of convenience. Just to clarify, schools don't actually teach these slangs, we just somehow know it.

Recently, I've been volunteering at the Manchester International Festival and I've been meeting a whole range of interesting people that say some of the nicest things when I tell them that I'm from Malaysia.

Just today I was speaking to this lady who is studying English but instead of learning about the actual language, part of her coursework was to explore how far English has travelled over the past few centuries and how much the language has evolved. It was a pleasant conversation and all, until she mentioned Singlish and instantly, I was like "Yay you know Singlish! But oh shit that's not good."

There are many reasons as to why I say this because number 1, Singlish, in my opinion, is a disgrace to English itself. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but Singlish is mostly broken up English with possibly the worst grammar ever, plus an added expression at the end of each sentence which has no proper explanation for its existence whatsoever. And number 2, I can't possibly be the only one who feels this, but I am so embarrassed when a white friend (or anyone unfamiliar to the language for that matter) has to listen to Singlish and try to decipher what it means. It makes me cringe so much when my brother accidentally says something to my dad in Singlish because my dad usually looks back with utter disappointment that his kids don't take after him. Anyway, it's just extremely unflattering.

But what really surprised me the most was that this lady said that as a country whose native language isn't English, we should be proud that we've managed to put a stamp on it and make Singlish truly unique to call it our own. With English being the international language that everyone all around the world must learn in order to communicate, it's easy to forget or neglect our mother tongue, which could be either Mandarin, Malay or Tamil. And I've seen so many locals in Malaysia and Singapore, who can't speak their mother tongue because they've spent their whole lives under the influence of English and nothing else. It's a shame, really. On one hand, English is a necessity but on the other, we're slowly losing touch with our roots. I remember a time where I was so angry at the fact that English has taken over the world because even my grandparents, who are close to being 90, are trying so hard to learn simple English sentences when we, the younger generation, should in fact be the ones who are learning our native dialect to make communicating with them easier.

I have to say though, even after coming here, I still can't get rid of the Singlish in me and I don't want to either. Whenever I go home or even when I'm chatting to my friends back home, all the la's and leh's just spill out like beans in a beanbag. I mean, even when I'm skyping with my mom, if I speak proper English, she'll do the same, and five minutes into the conversation, we'll both burst into giggles because we can't take each other seriously. Last year during Christmas, I met up with a couple of friends and they asked me how I managed to not get rid of Singlish or why my accent didn't change. And the minute I tried to speak without Singlish, I just couldn't do it at all. It was so odd.

But my point is, I know it's not just me, but a lot of people who leave Singapore or Malaysia to go abroad to some white country to study, will tend to feel embarrassed about their weird and uncommon Singaporean accent and will hence try to imitate other accents to fit in. I've seen it happen so many times especially when my friends or teachers meet my dad on Parent's Day. Honestly, you don't have to do that. Sure, it would be helpful to take out the unnecessary swear words every now and then but there's really nothing to feel embarrassed about. The lady I spoke to was a prime example of how white people can be just as fascinated with Singlish as we are with their thousands of accents.

My dad absolutely hated Singlish but that all changed when he saw Kumar perform and he now thinks Singlish can be equally or if not funnier than just plain old English. You know how comedians always swear just to make a joke funnier? It works the same with Asians, you can't tell a joke unless you include the phrase CCB, which in my grandparent's dialect means smelly vagina.



(But don't ever go up to an elderly in Asia to say that unless you want their whole family coming after you with feather dusters and wooden canes ready to beat the shit out of you)


No comments:

Post a Comment